A solid education in the areas of business administration and pedagogy, intensive support and integrated practical experience – you can expect all of this and more of the bachelor’s program in Economic and Business Education.
A big advantage of the program is that you don’t have to know which career you want to pursue right away. Depending on your skills and interests, the degree enables you to become a teacher, or to work in the private sector or in academia. I am currently a teacher with higher civil servant status at the largest secondary school with a commercial focus in the south of the Baden region.
- Length of study and program start: 6 semesters (full-time), fall semester (September)
- Language of Instruction: German, some courses are taught in English
- Application: Between May 15 and July 15 via bewerbung.uni-mannheim.de or hochschulstart.de
- Admission requirements: University entrance qualification (e.g. German Abitur), Knowledge of German language, Career Counselling for Teachers Test, Orientation Test
- Selection criteria: grade average achieved in your university entrance qualification, work experience in commercial or educational area, extracurricular activities
- Internationality: Semester abroad and transfer of credits earned abroad possible
Fees: € 156.70 per semester, additional tuition fees for non EU/
EEA applicants and for a second German degree
- Program structure / content: Module Catalog 2017, Examination regulations
- Download: program brochure (in German only)
Required interests and skills
Besides your interest for economic and educational questions as well as in teaching and learning formats at companies and schools, you should bring along a high level of commitment, motivation and discipline. Further, you will require:
- University entrance qualification (e.g. German Abitur)
- Proof of knowledge of German language
- Certificate of completion of Orientation Test
- Certificate of completion of Career Counselling for Teachers Test
You can find the exact requirements for the program in the selection statutes.
A good grade average in your university entrance qualification, first working experience in the commercial or educational area as well as extracurricular activities will increase your chances of being accepted to the program.
The ability to read, understand and work with scientific articles in English is assumed in the bachelor’s program. In case you want to refresh your knowledge of the English language starting with your first semester, we recommend the language course offerings of the University of Mannheim.
Math? No, no! If you react to math in a similar way, we recommend participating in the Refresher Course in Mathematics of the Department of Economics at the beginning of the fall semester, especially in order to be prepared for modules in economics. Important basics in math are indispensable, also for a successful completion of the Economic and Business Education program.
How to apply
You will receive an official letter of admission via hochschulstart.de in the first weeks of august. If the bachelor’s program in Economic and Business Education is your first choice, accept the offer in the online portal of Hochschulstart. Afterwards you will receive your admission along with all relevant information for your enrollment by mail or via the application portal of the University of Mannheim. You will further receive information on how your first days here in Mannheim will look like. After you have participated in the introductory events in the week prior to the start of the program, you will be able to create your course schedule and familiarize with the examination regulations.